Features of planting and care of a variety of apple trees Syabryna
One of the late, frost-resistant and high-yielding varieties of apple trees is Syabryna. It was bred in 1984 in Belarus, by crossing varieties Lobo and Prima, inheriting from them only positive properties. The variety was included in the State Register of the Republic of Belarus in 2011. We suggest you familiarize yourself with this hybrid in more detail.
Description and characteristics of the variety
Externally, the apple tree of the Syabryna variety is characterized by such signs:
- Trees reach a height of 3-4 m. They have a neat, rounded, medium-thickened crown. Single-stem trees are mainly formed, but also occur with 2 and 3 trunks.
- The roots are quite branched, up to 2 m long.
- The branches are straight, directed upward at a right angle.
- The bark of trees is flaky, brownish-green. On annual shoots it is dark red.
- The leaves are large, dark green, smooth. They do not grow densely, which allows the fruits to get enough light.
- The flowers are pale pink, abundantly cover tree branches.
- Fruits of small size, rounded in shape, weighing an average of 120-150 g, exude a pleasant aroma.
- The peel is dense, shiny. The main color of apples is yellow, with a rich red blush.
- The pulp is grainy, juicy, white with a green tint, sweet and sour.
Pros and cons of Syabryna
- The apple-tree of Syabryna variety has many positive qualities:
- does not take up much space in the garden;
- unpretentious in leaving;
- the first crop can be harvested on the 2nd – 3rd year after planting;
- with proper care, bears fruit annually;
- resists the main diseases, in particular all types of scab and phylostictosis;
- long shelf life of fruits without loss of food quality (up to 5 months);
- gives a plentiful harvest;
- apples hold firmly on branches and do not crumble;
- the crop is well transported;
- tolerates frosts (up to -29 ° C);
- the fruits have an excellent presentation;
- universal application;
- apples contain a large amount of nutrients;
- does not need pollinators, but to increase productivity, you can plant nearby apple trees with the same flowering period (Breburn, Idared).
In addition to numerous advantages, there is only one drawback that is easily eliminated - with abundant flowering, small fruits ripen, for which you need to normalize the crop.
Did you know? Translated from the Belarusian language, “syabryna” means “circle of friends”.
Fertile soils, light, rich in oxygen, are excellent for the Syabryna apple tree. It is also necessary to pay attention to the fact that there is no stagnation of water in the ground, if necessary, to drain. The occurrence of groundwater should be at least 2 m. The place for planting is chosen sunny, calm, on a hill.The purchase of high-quality planting material plays an important role in the further cultivation of apples. To do this, you need to purchase seedlings in professional nurseries. The tree should be up to 2 years old, without damage, with a well-developed root system and several shoots. The vaccine, located 5 cm from the roots, should grow well.
Important! It is easy to determine the age of a seedling: annual specimens have no developed branches, and a two-year-old should have 2-3 additional branches that stick out in different directions at an angle of 45–90 °.
Basic landing rules
It is possible to plant seedlings of Syabryna variety both in spring and in autumn. Most often, the tree is planted in the autumn, because, according to practice, the seedlings are better adapted to the cold climate and less sick. To do this, you need to prepare a landing pit in advance.Proper planting of apple trees: 1 - laying a seedling in a trench; 2 - a seedling dug for the winter.This process consists of the following steps:
- Dig a hole measuring 70 × 70 cm.
- Pour a mixture of garden soil, humus, compost, mineral fertilizers into the pit. Make a tubercle.
- Drive a stake vertically to tie a seedling.
- Before planting, put the tree roots in a container of water for several hours.
- Place the seedling evenly on the tubercle, spreading the roots.
- Sprinkle on top with earth, tamp.
- Around the trunk, make a small depression, into which pour 2 buckets of warm, defended water.
- The tree is tied to a support.
- After all the manipulations, you can trim the branches for better rooting of the seedling and the formation of the future crown.
Did you know? According to doctors, green apples strengthen teeth and gums, yellow fruits increase immunity, and red — have a positive effect on the heart and blood vessels.
The apple-tree of Syabryn variety does not need any special care. Seedlings planted in autumn require regular watering in the first year, provided there is no rainfall. Later, adult trees are watered three times per season: during flowering, during the ripening of apples and before the start of frosts. Experts advise watering along the perimeter of the crown, and not under the trunk itself. The first feeding is carried out in early spring, before buds are opened, using fertilizers containing nitrogen (bird droppings, urea, ammonium sulfate, etc.).The second is carried out in early summer before flowering (ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, superphosphate). The third - after harvesting, with fertilizers rich in potassium and phosphorus (potassium sulfate, potassium salt, superphosphate, phosphate rock, wood ash, etc.). After harvesting, trees need to be prepared for wintering. To do this, top-dressing, sanitary pruning of the crown (remove dry, diseased and damaged branches), dig the trunk area and cover it with mulch, whiten the trunks with lime mortar and dress them with burlap or fine mesh.
Important! It is not recommended to introduce organic fertilizers every year as top dressing. It is best to use them once every few years.
In addition to the above activities, Syabryna needs spring pruning and crown shaping, carried out before the sap flow begins. Immediately after planting, the tree is shortened at a height of 1 m for the growth of side branches and better rooting. If the shoots grow at an acute angle, they are removed. And shoots that are at right angles shorten, leaving from 3 to 5 buds.The next year, 3-5 most powerful branches are left, growing at right angles to the trunk, the rest are cut off. The main trunk should be above all shoots by 4–5 buds. On the 3rd year, branches older than 1 year are not removed, the rest are shortened by 1/3 of their length. The upper kidneys should be directed from the center of the trunk. For proper crown formation, the lower branches should be 30 cm longer than the upper ones.
Pest and Disease Control
Despite the fact that Syabryn's variety is resistant to all scab groups, it can be affected by diseases such as:
- Fruit rot - affects the apple in the form of foamy circles, which eventually grow throughout the fetus. It can be eliminated by destroying diseased branches, collecting fallen fruit, treating with fungicides: 1% Bordeaux mixture, Azofos (100 ml per 10 l of water), Abiga-Peak (50 g per 10 l of water), etc.
- Powdery mildew - forms a gray coating on leaves, branches, buds. An effective method of combating this disease will be spraying with copper chloride (40 g per 10 l of water), colloidal sulfur (20 g per 10 l of water), a weak solution of potassium permanganate (3 g per 10 l of water).
Did you know? The heaviest apple in the world weighed about 1.8 kg. He was raised by a Japanese farmer, and the result was recorded in the Guinness Book of Records.
Harvesting and storage
Harvest from Syabryna apple trees at the end of September. Since apples hold well on branches, gardeners can pick them off without haste. The shelf life of the fruit is about 5 months.
The main conditions for long-term storage of the crop are:
- the storage should be dry, well ventilated, with a temperature not exceeding + 5 ° C;
- apples must first be sorted, selecting beautiful and without damage;
- for storage, disinfected cardboard or wooden boxes are suitable;
- the fruits must be neatly placed in containers, each layer shifting paper;
- apples should be checked regularly and those that have begun to rot should be discarded.